Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Some pictures of Argentina and Chile

I don't know where to fit these in. I could write a big story, but I'll let the photos tell the story.
High up on the Altiplano. If you look carefully you can see Flamingos in the lake.
The border between Bolivia and Chile. Apparently, the place to check the bikes out of the country was 20km back on a sandy road. However... the guy accepted a couple of dollars to run the paperwork back for us later in the day. Money well spent.


Ice cream is so good down here.







Salt Mines in Valle de Luna. In places the walls were clear.


Out for a tour in Valle de Luna, Chile.
Watching the sunset with all the tourists. There must have been 500 people up here enjoying the sunset. Pretty fun.
18000 foot Volcanos everywhere


Looking for a campsite somewhere south of Susques. This spot didn't work out too well.
I love our stove, but without the high altitude jet, it was very difficult to get started at 14000 feet
I couldn't quite climb it, but at least I had my helmet on in case I fell. There were amazing, solid boulders all through this valley.
Argentine wine from Salta. Happiness for Megan.
The group of BMW riders from Cordova that we ran into. We stayed at this place with all of them. A great group of people with strong Argentine accents. 
Even the cats get good food here
The wine aisle. Heaven for Megan, again.
Lush Valleys outside of Salta. The rivers were flooded which for interesting riding, but it was beautiful.
Parrots everywhere
Here we are in a front loader crossing one of the many rivers of Argentina's route 40
It is Megan's dream to throw a cute dog on the back of her motorcycle and ride the rest of the trip with it. This little guy almost made the cut.
Megan's front fender broke when she had the accident in Colombia. We had it repaired in Columbia, but when I dropped the bike the previous day it started to break again. I figured out a way to keep it together for a while using a compression strap.
Our camping picnic dinner with one of the many delicious wines from down here
Washing ourselves and our moto clothing in this perfect little stream. It was very hot here so it felt nice to have wet clothes.
This woman died of thirst on the side of the road but her son survived by drinking her breast milk. Now she is a saint in Argentina and everyone goes to visit here. The Difunta Correa is good luck and if you leave her something you will get what you want.
A proper BBQ with my high school friend Kevin Coryell.
More happiness
Marshall's happiness
That's right, I played the pan flutes.
Wine Cellars. Wow. 
Wine grapes. Yummy.

2 comments:

  1. These are fun! I better be careful - the more photos I see of S. America, the more likely it is that I'll just keep going once I make it to SE Asia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! Looking at those photos was an enjoyable experience. Love you two!

    ReplyDelete

We check the comments a lot and love to hear from you, so leave a note.