Monday, August 28, 2006

If I die tomorrow...

That is one of the questions that convinced me to take this trip. If I die tomorrow, am I doing today what I would want to be doing?

Maybe because there are no more mice, or maybe because Megan comes back tomorrow (I am quite excited for her return), or maybe because I have met some incredible people, or maybe because climbing in maple is so damn fun, but I woke up today feeling like I could answer yes to that question. Of course, don't take this too literal, but life is about as good as I can imagine right now. The only thing missing is my community of friends and family. Anyone want to come to maple?

Because I like it so much, I think I'll stay through labor day and then cruise to Boulder after sometime next week. Hopefully by them I can send the 6000 projects that I have at Maple. They are staring to get knocked down slowly, but it could take till next week to do them all.

Some of the people I have hung out with:
Amy and Kyle from Flagstaff. These two were camped across from me and I ended up climbing with them for two days. Amy is freshly pregnant, so she was redpointing on toprope which was driving her nuts, but she was still having a grand old time. Kyle finally did his 13a project in Box canyon and was super stoked. The energy was sarcastic, crass and supportive. Good people.
Dan, Josh and Kat. Josh is the guy who lives in Chiang Mai, Kat is his Thai partner and Dan is Josh's brother. I look forward to working and climbing with Josh and Kat in Thailand. Josh has a really cool approach to tourism and I feel like I can learn a lot about guiding, working with people and developing routes with him. Kat seems really cool and I can't wait to speak Thai so I can communicate with her better (although she speaks english quite well, but I's love to try to speak in Thai with her). Dan is a music producer and fun guy to be around.
Pablo from Provo. Pablo seems like the Provo version of "Coach." For those of you who don't know who coach is, well ask around and find out. Pablo and I shared some Olympia beers last night and chatted about this and that.
4 Mormon girls. These four mormon girls (one from Moroni, the tiny town close to Maple whose economy is strictly driven by turkey farming). They invited me over to their fire for Peach cobbler made in a dutch oven. I thought about bringing my 24 oz. Miller High life over with me, but left it in my van. No reason to make things uncomfortable. I heard some funny stories about growing up in Moroni and working part time in the turkey plant. Did you know that the necks that come with turkeys don't always belong to turkey you are eating? After a neck fight in the plant, they just have to pick up the necks and stuff them into some turkey.

Anyway, life is great. It will be even better tomorrow when Megan comes back, and wish you all were here.

Marshall

No comments:

Post a Comment

We check the comments a lot and love to hear from you, so leave a note.