Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Adventure eating

I've always said I will eat anything. So when we go out to eat, I sometimes try to order the thing on the menu that I have no idea what it is. Usually it turns out quite well and I get to try something new. Sometimes it doesn't turn out so well and I get to try something new.
Last night was one of the latter.
After trying to order Roast Suckling pig (they were out), I pointed to the next thing on the menu which I didn't have time to look up in the dictionary. I asked the server what it was, and in very fast spanish she told me it was something good and about this size and it is good. I went for it.

What I didn't understand is that I had ordered a very large piece of grilled liver.

I actually hadn't had liver in a long time. I knew that the last time I ate it, I didn't really like it, but this is now and it looked so damned good on the plate. I carved out a big chunk, put some of the grilled onions on top and popped it into my mouth.
The thing about liver that first strikes you is the texture. Sort of like butter and cottage cheese and styrofoam. Not so good. The second thing about liver is the taste. You either love it or hate it.
A managed not to gag after the first bite which was a good thing. However, my pride dictated that I eat the entire thing so I kept at it. Some bites were not so bad, others not so good, but I managed to get most of it down.
Marshall 1
Liver 0

Megan was smart and ordered the amazing Chile Rellanos. Hers was really quite yummy.

3 comments:

  1. didn't take long for that mustachio to make a comeback. looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your description of the texture. Watch out for "tripas." You'll get cow stomach-intestines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait til you get some chicken feet (or more likely, patitas de cerdo). You'll know what to do with them! Buen provecho!

    ReplyDelete

We check the comments a lot and love to hear from you, so leave a note.