Friday, September 01, 2006

Protests in Salt Lake City



On tuesday evening after the whole updog incident, I drove north to Salt Lake to pick up Megan. Of course, I paused slightly when driving through Orem to listen to the van and make sure she isn't breaking down. So far, so good.
You know how when you haven't taken a shower for a week and you don't really feel that dirty cause you are in the outdoors and dirt is everywhere, but then you go to the city and suddenly you feel like the stinkiest, dirtiest, little rug rat in the whole place? Well I felt like that when I walked into the Salt Lake airport. However, Megan still loved me and we were quite excited to see each other.
We spent the night in Salt Lake because, a) I didn't want to drive the road out to maple in the dark (I am so afraid of hitting a deer) and b) there was an anti-bush protest scheduled in Salt Lake city the next day.
"Anti-bush protest in Salt Lake?" you might ask. In fact, Salt Lake city is a fairly liberal town in the heart of the most conservative state in Utah. The mayor, Rocky Anderson, is this total progressive minded guy who decided, when Bush came to town to give a speech, to stage a counter protest right in front of the city hall. Ohhhhh the controversy. The Utah media has been going on for the last few weeks about how bad mannered Rocky is to mot make bush feel welcome. We have been hearing about how voicing opposition to the war is helping the terrorists. Voices have been heard, and this is my favorite, about how voicing dissent will squash our freedoms by not allowing the president to do his job.
So you bet you we went to the protest. From what I read, there were about 4,000 people there (although it seemed like less to me) and we sat through a lot of bad speakers and then heard from Rocky who gave a complete breakdown of Bush's faults and his illogical approach to war. It was a speech that got me riled up and can be found here: http://www.slcgov.com/mayor/speeches/2006%20speeches/SPdemonstration83006.pdf . And the local media is just pissed about the rude manners. Tee-hee-hee.
So now we are back at maple. We climbed yesterday (yes, Megan climbed a few pitches with her broken hand), resting today and then will climb through the weekend.
I hope everyone has a good weekend, and of course, I'd love to hear from you.

Oh, yeah, and here is a photo of me and Megan in the parking lot of Ken Garff Volkswagen in Orem. This is just before we got the bill for $1150. God bless the large flag and the shade it gave us.

Marshall

No comments:

Post a Comment

We check the comments a lot and love to hear from you, so leave a note.