Wednesday, March 24, 2010

How I missed the view from the bridge over Agua Dulce


We were in the far eastern part of Guatemala. The goal was to drive from Tikal down into Honduras and spend the night on the Caribbean.
We were about to go over a bridge that would afford us a nice view of the area around Agua Dulce, a popular vacation spot for Guatemalans.
Let me preface this story a bit. I have always been a bit allergic to bees. For me, a bee sting is a lot like a speeding ticket. It isn't the price of the ticket that matters, yeah it sucks, but it is the rise in insurance costs associated with the ticket that really sucks. A bee sting is painful, sure, but for me it is the week of swollen appendages following the sting that I dread. For those of you who know me, you know that I really swell up.
So when the bee flew into my helmet I knew I was in for a good time. I ripped off my sunglasses and was relieved to see the squished bee on the glasses. Ok. So I got the bee out. Now I needed to stop and check out the damage. Driving a motorcycle with sunglasses in one hand, curses flying out of my mouth, and well aware of two giant trucks right behind me is kind of fun.

Well after a salt bath on the sting and a benadryl tablet later we kept on. It really wasn't too bad yesterday, but this morning when I woke up I felt like I had been hit hard in the eye. I just hope this is the worst of it. If my eye swells shut, I don't think I can ride very far in Honduran traffic.

4 comments:

  1. Aach! And to add insult to injury, you typoed "from" in the opening title of the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess this answers the title of your previous post...hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should use your scary eye to frighten small children for fun. You can call yourself "The Ugly American".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a save travel P Marshall and P' Megan

    ReplyDelete

We check the comments a lot and love to hear from you, so leave a note.